French potage is a soup prepared in most french homes throughout the winter. It is simple and quick to prepare, you can put vegetables according to the season, it is very nutritious and surprisingly delicious. If you can’t find the following vegetables, just use whatever you have on hand (peas, leeks, cabbage, etc). You can also add some herbs like sage, thyme or rosemary. For extra source of flavouring you can add some spices, such as green pepper, saffron, cloves, nutmeg or cinnamon.
Healthy French potage recipe
– 6 cups water
-2 cups peeled diced carrots
– 1 medium size peeled potato
– 1 cup sliced mushrooms
– 1 cup chopped peeled celeriac
– 2 cups of fresh or frozen broccoli
– 1 cup of fresh cauliflowers
– 1 cup diced onion
– 1 quarts vegetable stock (can be chicken or beef as well)
– 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
– 2 garlic cloves
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– salt and pepper to taste
– Place a large pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, carrots, potato, onions, garlic, mushrooms and celeriac. Cook covered, for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
– Once the harder vegetables start to get a little tender, add the broccoli and cauliflowers. Cook another 2 minutes, add the stock and herbs (if you are using parsley, save some for a garnish when serving).
– Bring everything to a simmer and cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
– Put the vegetable mixture in a blender and process until smooth.
– Serve with integral bread or crackers.
Enjoy this nutritious potage!