Quinoa is high in all nine essential amino acids and is one of few plants that are considered a complete protein (100 gr of quinoa grains carry 18 gr of protein). This super grain is naturally gluten-free and it has E and B vitamins, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium and phosphorus. It also contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains, which help to prevent heart disease by reducing high blood pressure, lower cholesterol and glucose levels. Quinoa leaves are excellent sources of vitamin A, folate and antioxidants such as lutein, carotene and crypto-xanthin, which remove harmful free radicals from the body and prevent cancers and infections.
If you were wondering how to consume this amazing super grain, here is our recipe for quinoa and avocado salad. This salad is incredibly easy, light and satisfying. It is like a bite of summer. It is full of phytonutrients, antioxidants and can even help balance your blood sugar, which means it is diabetic-friendly food.
– 1 cup of water
– 1/2 cup quinoa
– 1 peeled cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
– 2 bunches of freshly chopped mint leaves
– 1 cup of cooked chickpeas
– 1 lemon, juiced
– 1 peeled diced avocado
– 1 large diced broccoli
– 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
– 1 teaspoon salt
Quinoa cooking tips:
– Cook quinoa the very same way you cook rise, in a 2 to 1 ratio. Make sure you wash and rinse the quinoa very well, because it has like a sandy powder on it.
– If making quinoa like a side dish or to go with a chicken dish, you can cook it in vegetable or chicken broth, but for salads like this one, cook the quinoa only in water and small pinch of salt and half a teaspoon of olive oil.
– Put this to boil on medium heat for 10 minutes, turn the heat off and let it seat for 5 minutes and you got a perfectly cooked quinoa.
– Take a big salad bowl, put the diced cucumbers, broccoli, chopped mint, chickpeas, add a pinch of salt, olive oil and lemon juice.
– Mix this together and set it aside, to let it kind of marinate a bit.
– Put the cooked quinoa on top and mix it all together. The warm quinoa instantly awakens the mint and the lemon.
– At the end, cut the avocado in slices and put it on the salad together with some lemon juice.